As a senior editor for Entangled Publishing, I acquire YA, NA, and adult across Entangled’s imprints. I love YA of all genres, and am also looking for really excellent women’s fiction, adult single-title romance, and category romance. I'm eagerly looking for more POC authors and their stories.
I do not acquire nonfiction, middle grade, picture books, graphic novels, or adult fiction that is not romance-driven. Entangled accepts submissions from agented and unagented authors.
What I’m looking for:
- High concept, big hook, fast-paced YA/NA of any genre, particularly local disaster stories or survival stories.
- #ownvoices manuscripts in any genre, especially those dealing with poverty, bisexuality, faith or spirituality, and intersectional diversity. I also want to see POC and LGBTQIA+ main characters. I’d particularly love to find a F/F romance that’s fun and high-chemistry, with a happily ever after, somewhat like an F/F Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda.
- Emotionally powerful prose with intentional use of language and a voice that shows nuanced and strong personality. Non-client voices I've loved include The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, This Is Where I Leave You, More Happy Than Not, Warm Bodies, When The Moon Was Ours, Lola and the Boy Next Door.
- Charming, heartfelt YA & NA of any genre, particularly dealing with sibling relationships, careers/passions, and complex friendships. Anything similar to Stephanie Perkins's work.
- Gripping, dark YA & NA of any genre. Think Sex & Violence and Cut Both Ways by Carrie Mesrobian, More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera, and If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.
- I loved Lauraine Snelling's Golden Filly series as a pre-teen & I'd LOVE a general-market version for YA. Racing, training, dressage, jumping, anything competitive. Lots of detail and that human-animal bond, and of course a strong central romance.
- Really swoony YA romance with a deep and compelling unrequited or impossible love story in any genre. Something that gets into our bones and makes us ache for the impossible romance. Make me think of Anna and St. Clair, or Starbuck and Apollo, or the early seasons of Elena and Damon, or what Rory and Jess should have been!
- YA sci-fi set on Earth in modern-day with a strong romance. Something with a Leftovers or Stranger Things flair.
- NA romance with a unique twist we haven't seen before. Emergency response personnel? Yes please! Swift water rescue, aviation medicine, K9 units, anything beyond firefighters and paramedics, though those are great, too. I'd love to see this in adult as well.
In adult, I’m looking for single-title and category romance, and romance-driven women's fiction. Sweet to spicy adult romance that revolves around clever and surprising set-ups, especially with strong setting and a strong community feel. Adult romantic suspense, especially featuring hackers. Suspense and thriller plots are favorites of mine, as well as high-concept contemporary. I love the boy next door! If you’ve got a MS with a Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead) Detective Stephen Holder (The Killing), Tim Riggins (Friday Night Lights), or Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad), I want to see it.
If you have something similar to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Big Little Lies, A Discovery of Witches, or the TV shows The Killing, Friday Night Lights, or Battlestar Galactica, but all with a little more romance, I’m interested. If your women are Claire Underwoods, Cannie Shapiros, Lisbeth Salandars, Leslie Knopes, Joan Holloways, or Lady Mary Crawleys, I’m interested. Right now I’m particularly looking for women’s fiction with a romance plot, and hilarious or clever community-driven or small town romances.
And of course, since there are exceptions to everything, if you’ve got something wonderful, send it my way.
I’m a tough sell for:
- Issue-driven addiction or eating disorder stories
- Very technology-driven sci-fi. I loved Cinder (sci-fi that’s more fairytale) and Battlestar Galactica (sci-fi that’s more survival/disaster story)
- Paranormal, especially dreamer and shifter stories
- Portal fantasy
Unagented authors: please submit your query and full manuscript through the Entangled Publishing submissions portal, marked attn to me, and addressed to me.
Agents: please contact me at katebrauning(at)EntangledPublishing(dot)com.